Advantage Tech has an awesome client with a 6 month contract need for an Agile Coach. This position is located in Kansas City, MO.
The Agile Coach will be instrumental in providing mentoring for a program as it transitions from a traditional waterfall/incremental SDLC approach to agile practices that are tailored for the project team. The Agile Coach is responsible for leading and driving the agile processes and adoption across the program while coaching and mentoring agile teams, Scrum Masters, organizational leaders, and key stakeholders. The Agile Coach is an expert in a variety of Agile implementations, coaching the organization to increased agility, velocity, predictability, innovation, and quality. The ideal candidate is highly skilled at and has a passion for facilitation, mentoring, training, and professional coaching all while maintaining situational awareness and enthusiasm, navigating conflict resolution, and exercising the voice of reason.
- Develop Agile Adoption Strategy: The Agile Coach is responsible for designing a strategy for the organizational adoption of Agile. This includes every stage of adoption, from the introduction of Agile and employee education, to fostering teams and cultures that practice Agile, to sustaining Agile methodologies and continually offering strategies for improvement.
- Educate Colleagues: The Agile Coach must educate employees at all levels, including senior, and at times clients, on Agile principles, providing them with tools for implementing the process in their own work. They provide training sessions and teach valuable skills that lead toward the adoption of Agile methodologies. This includes providing Agile thought leadership.
- Mentor Team: As a mentor, the Agile Coach is responsible for guiding teams into the Agile methodology, providing employees with feedback and answering questions. They provide hands-on support to all employees, collaborating with people across widely varying levels and roles, leading teams toward further understanding and adoption of Agile.
- Implement Agile Methodology: Develop Agile processes, including analysis of existing processes, elicitation of requirements from subject matter experts, and application of industry best practices and standards. This task entails implementing Agile process, principles and practices across all levels and departments in the organization. The Agile Coach must use techniques that increase collaboration, predictability, transparency and promote a culture of innovation. In order to do this, the Agile Coach must also embody the Agile principles and lead by example.
- Provide training for teams and individuals through informal communication channels and / or formal training sessions, from basic Scrum team workshops to SAFe release-train workshops to more specialized training on specific practices.
- Coach Product teams, Scrum Masters, Project Managers and Development teams to velocity as they transform to agile from waterfall and other traditional development methodologies.
- Coach and mentor Executive/C-level leaders on the organizational value to drive implementation success and overall adoption of Agile framework.
- Motivate teams to adopt practices by showing problems with the status quo, explaining the benefits of new practices and principles, and understanding and overcoming perceived obstacles to adoption. Help teams form new work habits with hands-on coaching, collaborative partnership, and feedback.
- Facilitate planning sessions at various levels.
- Facilitate positive change by providing advice and input on technical direction, tools and processes to help demonstrate the value of agile based development.
- Drive improvement through examples and practical, achievable in a non-academic delivery style that encourages the adoption of agile technical practices, improving execution, communication and concurrently building group skills and capabilities.
- Promote appropriate metrics to demonstrate that good practices are taking hold.
- Bachelor’s degree specializing in business, related computer technology, or equivalent combination of education and/or directly related work experience.
- Minimum of six years of technology project management experience, including end-to-end software development life cycle project management experience.
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification strongly preferred.
- Strong skill in MS Project or comparable project management tool.
- Possesses strong technical aptitude, including knowledge of software development methodologies and processes (e.g., agile, RUP, waterfall, scrum); computing environments; and tools such as JIRA and ClearCase.
- Practical knowledge of Earned Value Management (EVM), or alternative project performance measurement practices.
- Knowledge of and proven skills with project management through the full System Development Life Cycle to include the business/conceptual and initiation phases as well as analysis and requirements gathering (business, use cases/stories, functional/non-functional, and technical).
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills to articulate and explain complex technical concepts to non-technical individuals, and to determine and drive reporting and communication strategies. Uses persuasion and tact in advising on, and influencing, project objectives and direction, as well as project team. Skilled at negotiating commitments among various stakeholders and possesses excellent meeting and presentation skills, which includes handling difficult and/or sensitive conversations with key stakeholders.
- 5+ years of experience coaching, leading, guiding full scale agile transformations as an external coach.
- 5+ years of software lead development experience.
- 10+ years of work experience in IT in the use of Project and Program Management methodologies and tools.
- Ambitious and flexible with well-honed team skills and strong personal drive, effective working relationships at all levels.
- Expert in Scrum and Kanban Agile Frameworks, and demonstrated experience with SAFe.
- Proven expertise in software architecture and familiarity with design patterns.
- Experience in Agile testing practices.
- Experience with Pair Programming preferred.
- Experience with JIRA and various software/agile tools.
- Experience driving change through a large distributed organization.
- Experience with “scrum of scrums” situations involving large, distributed teams and applications.
- Experience managing large development programs.
- Dynamic, effective communicator at all levels, in both structured and non-hierarchical, informal structures.