The MySQL Database Administrator is responsible for the effective design, architecture, and operation of enterprise wide databases . This position will leverage MySQL, related reporting and tuning tools. This position is responsible for identifying innovative approaches to achieving top performance in a rapid application development environment while maintaining overall database reliability and integrity.
What does this role do?
- Assists with identifying performance bottlenecks (OS, Network, and Database), tuning of both SQL statements and RDBMS software; suggests optimal performance recommendations
- Writes, debugs and unit tests stored procedures and triggers
- Creating databases, administrates security, resolves and troubleshoots database issues, oversees and performs upgrades, conversions and deployments, as needed
- Monitors databases to optimize database performance, health, resource use, and physical implementations of databases; address a variety of database integration issues including migration between disparate databases, integration, maintenance/conversion, capacity planning issues, and new applications
- Creates, rotates, and integrates related database backups based on business needs by having thorough knowledge of database software recovery mechanisms
PHYSICAL DATABASE STRUCTURES
- Provides support to application developers in designing and implementing physical database structures
- Reviews, develops, and designs data models using standard diagramming techniques, in conjunction with application development teams; creates logical data models and translates into physical database structures that integrate with existing or proposed database structures
- Responds to occasional requests from Production to resolve any database related customer issues
- Troubleshoots, capacity plans and performs maintenance as needed
- Provides technical support for middleware and administration tools
- Implements and maintains database security, Replication, Clustering, Standby Server, Replication
- Maintains user connectivity while providing security to protect company data
- Participates in selection of appropriate database software and hardware products
- Transfers knowledge and educates team relating to any technical areas of expertise
What skills are needed?
- Strong knowledge of MySQL/Aurora internals such as server configurations, storage engines, server deployment, etc.
- Strong knowledge of cloud services such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure, etc.
- Strong knowledge of database clustering, replication, as well as database modeling and design skills
- Strong knowledge of data dictionary and database scripting, SQL development, unit testing, and systems administration on Microsoft
- Strong knowledge of limitations of MySQL/Aurora and available workarounds
- Familiarity with Bash and the terminal, Linux navigation
- Ability to create and promote MySQL/Aurora slaves
- Ability to work well with end users, software engineers, and managers
- Ability to design and implement solutions to ensure database availability and recoverability
- Ability to script solutions as well as a strong knowledge of Command-Line or GUI administration tools to manage change control and monitoring of systems
- Proficient skills with Microsoft Office software including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Proven architecture skills in designing database environments for various business needs (e.g., high-availability, failover, replication, and disaster-recovery, virtual machine environment)
Education and Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field of study required
- Minimum of 3 years of experience with installing, configuring, tuning and troubleshooting MySQL/Aurora in a high volume, high availability production environment required
- Minimum of 2 years running MySQL/Aurora in a cloud based environment preferred
- Previous experience with life-cycle administration support including database design, database development, testing, deployment, and maintenance required
- Experience with Database Optimization and Performance Tuning required
- Experience with architecture, set up and administration of MySQL/Aurora required
- Experience with database troubleshooting and failure resolution required