The IT Security Engineer (ITSE) is responsible for ensuring IT security for the enterprise. The ITSE works with the IT Security Director to develop an overall IT security posture for the client. This posture includes an IT security roadmap, standards, policies, procedures, and various technologies. The ITSE identifies risks, reports issues, enforces processes, proposes remediation steps, and implements various technical solutions. The ITSE is responsible for working with the IT security team and other IT staff to ensure the information security posture of the client.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Support the planning, development and application of information security policies, procedures and standards.
- Collaborate in reaching and maintaining compliance with various IT and regulatory standards.
- Identify, recommend and implement measures to remediate risks using standard best practices.
- Engineer, implement and monitor security measures to protect IT systems, networks and information.
- Assist end-users and IT staff in providing solutions and training that meet business needs and align with the corporate Information Security posture.
- Provide subject matter expertise on authentication, end points, network architecture and systems for IT security.
- Review current permissions and access levels on systems and file shares ensuring compliance with corporate identity management policies.
- Review and validate current patching strategies.
- Ensure standards are established and implemented to appropriately harden corporate IT systems.
- Work as part of a team to develop risk assessments of corporate infrastructure and applications.
- Monitor IT systems and networks for intrusions or breaches and follow corporate incident response strategies in case of any suspected events.
- Work with the IT Security Director to compose Incident Reports for incidents as needed.
- Work with the IT Security Director and other key stake holders to regularly update corporate incident response strategies.
- Work with the IT Security Director to develop and regularly report relevant metrics used to measure the efficiency and effectiveness of the IT security program.
- Coordinate and lead IT technical personnel in implementation of the security solutions.
- Collaborates with IT personnel to research and develop security solutions for the enterprise.
- Stay current on all developments in the IT security space, maintain applicable credentials, and educate fellow IT staff on new or developing threats and technologies.
- Other duties within and outside of IT security will be assigned as necessary.
MARGINAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Participate in other projects and initiatives as directed.
- None. This position is a collaborative member of the IT department.
NECESSARY KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Experience working and ensuring PCI compliance at an enterprise level with a distributed geographic footprint of more than 20 locations
- Experience with various Security frameworks such as ISO 27001, CoBIT, NIST Cybersecurity Framework
- Hands on Incident Response planning and reporting.
- Knowledge of risk assessment tools, technologies and methods.
- Experience with computer forensic tools, technologies and methods.
- Hands-on disaster recovery and business continuity planning, implementation, testing and documentation experience.
- Hands-on proficiency with security systems, including firewalls, IDS, IPS, AV, AM, DPI, SSL DPI, content filtering, etc.
- Experience with scripting and automating processes, assessments and reporting.
- Hands-on proficiency with security testing and monitoring software such as: Tenable Nessus, Metasploit, InsightVM, Splunk, AlienVault, TripWire, etc.
- Experience with a logging management tool such as Splunk or Kiwi.
- Experience with Security Incident and Event Management (SIEM) systems (e.g. AlienVault, LogRhythm, etc.)
- Experience in evaluating and working with 3rd party and outsourced technology solutions providers for services such as logging, SIEM, remotely managed intrusion detection, etc. (e.g. SecureWorks, Solutionary, Sword & Shield, etc.)
- Thorough understanding of the latest security principles, techniques and protocols. Familiarity with web-related technologies (applications, web services, SOAs) and related protocols.
- Effective interpersonal skills. Ability to communicate security issues to peers and management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years’ experience in enterprise systems and networking.
- At least 3 years’ proven progressive IT security experience, including IT security engineering in a geographically distributed enterprise.